No Products in the Cart
30 Funny Messages for Grandma's Birthday
Funny Grandma Birthday Quotes
There’s no one quite like a grandmother, is there? They can be hilarious, loving, and supportive all at the same time. And on their birthday, it’s always fun to show them just how much they mean to us with a funny message or joke.
Why do grandmothers mean so much to us? What is it about these special ladies that make them so important in our lives?
For starters, research shows that children who have a close relationship with their grandparents are more likely to excel academically and emotionally. Grandparents provide a sense of stability and continuity for kids, which can be incredibly valuable during times of change or upheaval.
Grandparents also offer unique perspectives and life experiences to their grandchildren. Not only does this give kids a chance to learn from the past, but it helps them prepare for the future. In fact, some studies show that children with involved grandparents are more likely to graduate high school than those who don’t have access to these important figures in their lives.
Make Grandma’s Birthday Special with These Funny Messages
Sending birthday wishes doesn't have to be boring. Try these funny happy birthday messages the next time you wish your grandmother a very happy birthday.
1) "Dear Grandma. I wish I could give back all the love you've given me over the years, but since that's impossible, here's a cake. It will fill up your belly in the same way that your presence fills up our lives."
2) "As you know, Leslie and I are trying to start a family, and if our kids are half as wonderful as you are, we're going to be raising future Nobel Peace Prize winners."
3) "I know it's not a birthday without a cake, so I thought I'd give you the one that won't make you gain any weight. Enjoy this lovely picture of your favorite chocolate dessert."
4) "People say, "you're old as dirt' but I'd take that as a compliment. Without dirt there would be no life. And that's how we feel about you. We owe you our lives (and also probably a visit sometime soon.)"
5) "Some people say I look like you. I know it's a compliment, but they're wrong. I WILL look like you...in 45 more years!"
6) "Happy birthday to my favorite grandma and the only one I'd ever want! Plus I checked, and there are no returns."
7) "Love is patient, love is kind. That's why we still think about you after all these years. You are all three."
8) "Your age? Let's just say you're old enough to know better but young enough not to care. We love how irreverent you are and hope that you never change. Keep sticking it to the man, Grandma."
9) "I'd say I'm lucky to have you as a grandma, but really, it's the other way around. I'm the best grandchild you ever had, and he's telling you that you're the best grandma a person could ask for."
10) "It's your birthday! Let's dig into some ice cream and birthday cake! Unless you want me to bring home pie. Oh, wait...grandma's apple pie is every day."
SEE ALSO: Best Surprise Birthday Ideas for Friends
11) "I always wanted to be just like you when I grow up. Now that I'm grown up you're still much older than me. But that just means I have more to shoot for!"
12) "Happy birthday, Grandma. I hope this day is the best ever and the beginning of a wonderful year! Actually, let's say a decade to make sure you're around for a very long time to come!"
13) "You don't look a day over 100...in dog years. That sounds like an insult, but in fact, I'm saying you still look like you're in your teens! Whether that's true or not I'll leave up to you."
14) "Don't worry about getting older, beloved Grandma -- you'll always be the coolest grandma in my eyes. Anyways, aging is like a fine wine. The things you want only get better and you blissfully forget about the things that aren't working for you."
15) "I don't want to grow up because I know it means I'd have to be your age. Yikes! I didn't think it was possible to be older than dirt, but you're proving that wrong. Here's hoping you continue you to for the foreseeable future!"
16) "You're such an amazing grandmother; it's too bad birthdays only happen once a year. Otherwise, we could celebrate twice! Double the cake and still only one year older. That's the right way to birthday."
17) "If there was a world record for being the best grandma, you'd definitely hold it. You also get the award for having the best snacks in the country. We come to visit your food as much as we do you! Happy Birthday!"
18) "Once you get to your age, you get to decide what to do on your birthday. You want to sit around all day and watch bad reality TV? Do it! You want to stand on your front porch and yell at kids? Knock yourself out. It's your birthday. You do you."
19) "I can't believe how much stuff you've done in your life. You're amazing! Granted you've had a VERY long time to get it done, but that's a benefit of age!"
20) "You may be getting older, but to me, you're still perfect. Your body might take exception with that sentiment, though."
SEE ALSO: 10 Best Birthday Quotes and Wishes
21) "We don't say it enough, but thank you for always being here for us. It's actually probably impossible to say that enough because you never stop doing for other people. Have a wonderful birthday and we love you!"
22) "You're a wonderful grandma, and you taught me everything I know about living life to the fullest. Now pass the spaghetti, please. What? You thought we were here to visit you? Well, stop making the best Italian food on the planet and we'll come for your company alone."
23) "When your kids were little and got in trouble, you always knew how to handle them. Now that you're turning 80 you can get in trouble whenever you want to. You can just pretend you didn't know what you were doing. 'I'm sorry...I'm just so old!'"
24) "Happy birthday. I hope it's filled with lots of love, laughter, and delicious cake! And if you have to lose the first two, and at least you'll get all the cake you can eat...and that's a good birthday in anybody's book! Hope all your wishes come true, my sweet grandma!"
25) "We're all getting older and we're not going to be around forever. We don't want you to worry, though. We'll keep your mind sharp by sending you weird text messages with emojis in them."
26) "You've always been the coolest member of our family...at least, when it comes to birthdays. I remember when I was little and you let me blow out the candles with the wax still attached...I'm not sure how it worked, but it made for a great show!"
27) "Granny, you must be getting up there in age because you've been on this earth longer than most of your clothes have been in style. On the plus side, they should be cycling back around soon. You'll be stylish all over again!"
28) "Getting older is something that happens to all of us. I hope you have a great birthday and get everything you want from life -- including those pills that make you forget things like where you left the remote. That would be great!"
29) "Happy birthday, Granny! I'm so thankful for everything you've done for me...and if this birthday doesn't go well, at least we'll have plenty more of them to look forward to."
30) "When you get to be your age, it's just expected that the people around you will start getting up in their years. I hope that when my birthday comes around, you'll give me a break and pretend like I'm still the cool young person that everybody loves."
SEE ALSO: How to Send Birthday Cards in Bulk
Why Grandmothers Deserve Warm Birthday Wishes
Why take the time to craft the perfect funny message for your grandma's birthday? Because she is the matriarch of your family, the bedrock that creates a firm foundation for your family's growth. She spent her life giving your parents the best so that they could do the same for you.
Grandmothers are so important because they provide a link to the past. They often have memories of things that have long been forgotten, and they help to keep traditions alive. They are also a source of comfort and support, especially during difficult times.
But mostly grandmothers deserve the best because they've been giving their best their whole lives, and now it's time to thank them for their contributions to your life. Don't skimp by sending a generic birthday wish. Take the time to write something personal that she'll remember. As she ages, the number of birthdays she has to look forward to grow fewer, so each one needs to be as memorable as possible.
How to Choose the Right Message for Your Grandma
When you choose your grandma's birthday wishes, be sure to read through at least a few of them before settling on one. Once you've chosen your favorite funny message for grandmother's birthday, go ahead and share it with friends and family members who are gathering together to celebrate their special day. It will make her laugh when she sees how much you care to send a unique birthday message.
SEE ALSO: How to Plan a Surprise Birthday Party
Should You Worry About Insulting Her Age?
It may seem disrespectful to make jokes about your grandma's age, but it really is a good thing. Jokes help people feel comfortable sharing the things that make them feel vulnerable, and aging is something we all do. When you joke about your grandmother's age, and she joins in on the laughter, you'll realize that the joke makes it easier to take the relentless march of the years.
That said, if your grandmother is sensitive about her advancing years then it's best not to focus on that aspect. There are plenty of other comedic avenues to explore. Focus on things that won't be hurtful.
Will She Understand the Joke?
Another concern when sending funny birthday messages to older individuals is that they won't understand modern references. In many cases, grandparents stop focusing on pop culture as they age, and jokes that require specialized knowledge may fly over their heads.
To work around this, consider what you know about your grandmother. Does your joke deal with subjects she's likely to be aware of, or is the source material too "young" or "hip". If it is, you should choose a different joke. After all, jokes are only funny if the recipient understands them.
If Your Grandmother Doesn't Have a Sense of Humor
Let's face it. Some members of older generations came up at a time when humor was less important, or when the realities of survival left most jokes in bad taste. If your grandmother isn't particularly enamored with humor and would prefer a heartfelt birthday message, do what she'll appreciate. Don't make her birthday about you. You might enjoy a good joke, but if she doesn't your card will fall flat.
SEE ALSO: 10 Funny Ways to Say Happy Birthday
Make Certain You Send a Handwritten Card
You've got the perfect funny message. Now don't ruin it by sending it in an email or — shudder to think — a text message. Discounting the fact that many older people don't use email or text messages, the medium is cold and impersonal, particularly for a generation that came up with handwritten cards and letters as their preferred (and only) written communication option.
Your grandma likely appreciates the warmth, sentimentality, and tactile nature of handwritten mail. She can see a part of each of her grandchildren in the personalized messages they send her. It's like you're reaching out and touching her even if you can't be there in person.
Try sending your next handwritten birthday card with Simply Noted. We've got lots of notes with perfect birthday designs for grandmothers, so you'll have no trouble finding one that fits your personality. Best of all, you can send handwritten messages without lifting a finger.
Our advanced handwriting robots do all the work so that you can get on with life and your recipients can get warm birthday messages. We're the easiest way to send handwritten mail, whether you're wishing "happy birthday" to your grandmother or 1,000 clients a year. We can scale to meet your needs.
Type in words or a phrase to use our AI Assistant to
help generate a great message.